At the FAB9 Conference in Yokohama (aug2013) Bart Bakker from minifablab got the request to explore a Small Fablab Suite of machines for ‘The $10k fablab’.
The $10k fablab is a nickname for a small fablab/makerspace in the range between 10 and 15k investment.
With a international working group they came to the following.
The SFS should comprise a lasercutter, vinylcutter, router, 3D printer and an elementary electronics workbench.
Such a suite must – like the MIT standard suite – comply to conditions like:
- Stable products
- Easy to use
- Easy to maintain
- An easy to assemble kit is acceptable
- Open source if possible
- Worldwide available including supply chain.
A caveat though: machines may scale, but the learning curve for software not.
Here an example of a Small Fablab Suite that meets above conditions:
- Lasercutter Full Spectrum 5Gen € 3000
- Mill/router CNC-Step High-Z 720 € 4500
- Vinylcutter GCC Expert 24 LX € 700
- 3D Printer Ultimaker2 € 1900
- Electronics workbench € 1000
Total (excl. tax & shipping) € 11.100
For more details see MiniFabLab.nl